Back in September, the adult film world was rocked by the unexpected death of Jessica Jaymes.
The popular performer was just 43 years old.
Jaymes was found dead in her Los Angeles apartment after suffering a seizure.
She was discovered by her estranged husband, Nadir Maraschin, who became suspicious after he was unable to contact her for several days.
The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office attributed the death to “natural causes,” as it did not appear that the seizure was brought about by any external forces.
As is always the case with deaths that take place under mysterious circumstances, a full autopsy was conducted and this week, the results of a toxicology report were released to the public.
While Jaymes’ death is still considered the result of natural causes, as there were no signs of foul play or accidental injury, one line from the autopsy report seems to illuminate the circumstances that led to her untimely passing.
The coroner noted that “chronic ethanol abuse” was a factor in the death.
According to TMZ, several prescription pill bottles were found near Jaymes’ body.
Those two factors — combined with Jaymes’ well-documented history of substance abuse — have led many to the conclusion that while she may not have overdosed, the performer’s death was primarily a result of her drug and alcohol consumption.
“She had a lot of health issues, she kept having seizures in the past six months — she was around the medication for the seizures,” a source told the New York Post at the time of her death,
“She was so unhealthy, so many problems, health issues with her back, her nerve system, the seizures in the past six months,” the insider added.
“I was just waiting. It was a question of time. She was so young.”
On social media, some fans have expressed sympathy, while others responded to the finding derisively.
“That’s sad for her and her family,” wrote one Reddit user.
“Years of alcohol abuse = natural causes?!” another remarked.
While it’s easy to sneer at Jessica for the role her lifestyle may have played in her death, it’s important to note that she sought treatment for her addiction issues on numerous occasions.
In addition to her 200 adult films and her appearances on The Howard Stern Show and Weeds, Jaymes also appeared on VH1’s Celebrity Rehab Sober House, on which consulted with experts and attempted to rid herself of her demons.
Jaymes’ passing comes on the heels of several other premature deaths within the adult film industry, including the suicide of August Ames, an actress who was just 23 when she took her own life.
Our thoughts go out to Jaymes’ loved ones during this difficult time.