Attack

Tonya Harding: I Knew About the Nancy Kerrigan Attack Before It Happened

Tonya Harding is back in the news, and if you’re Nancy Kerrigan or any other human being with a sense of decency, you probably have very mixed feeling about that.

For the sake of our younger readers, we’d like to take a moment to explain why Harding is … well, not quite the OJ of the figure skating world … more like Tom Brady, if instead of ordering his equipment managers to deflate game balls, he had them bludgeon the other teams quaterback.

Tonya Harding Photo

Just weeks before the 1994 Winter Olympics, Harding’s biggest rival, Nancy Kerrigan, was clubbed on the knee in an attack that initially looked as though it would elimiate her from competition.

It was later revealed that Kerrigan’s attacker, Shane Stant, had been hired by her bodyguard, Shawk Eckhardt, and her ex-husband, Jeff Gilooly to carry out the assault.

Harding claimed the whole thing happened without her knowledge or approval, but she later pled guilty on several felony charges, striking a deal with prosecutors that allowed her to avoid jail time.

These days, Kerrigan is very much back in the news, thanks to I, Tonya the acclaimed, award-nominated film Margot Robbie portrays the disgraced ice queen with tremendous humor and compassion.

Biopics about scandalous figures are nothing new, but seldom have we seen an anti-hero treated with such admiration as Harding.

Tonya Harding and Margot Robbie

These days, Harding is being feted and celebrated across the media landscape.

She worked the red carpet alongside Margot Robbie at the 2018 Golden Globes, and she’s the subject of a popular new ABC News special that premiered this week.

Mostly, the doc just re-hashes the facts of the case and brings viewers up to date on what Harding has been up to in the decades since her name became synonymous with public disgrace.

But it occasionally sheds some new light on both the Kerrigan incident and Harding’s unmistakable involvement with it.

Including the admission–after decades of staunch denial–that she was aware her ex and bodyguard were planning something criminal.

Tonya Harding Golden Globes Pic

Asked whether or not she had any role in planning the attack, Harding replied:

“No. I did, however, overhear them talking about stuff. ‘Well, maybe we should take somebody out so we can make sure [Harding] gets on the team.’

“And I remember telling them, I go, ‘What the hell are you talking about? I can skate.’”

If you’re thinking Harding could’ve done a hell of a lot more to make sure no one was “taken out” on her behalf, then you’re absolutely right.

Journalist Connie Chung, who previously interviewed Harding was stunned when told about the former skater’s admission:

“Unbelievable,” Chung remarked. “I can’t believe that she said that.”

Nancy Kerrigan in 2013

Neither can we, Connie. Neither can we.

Memo to Margot Robbie: Maybe find a different date for the Oscars? Please?

Ray Liotta didn’t bring trot out Henry Hill on the red carpet, ya know.

(That’s a Goodfellas reference for all you under-30s out there.)

View Slideshow: Golden Globes: 13 Most Memorable (and Powerful) Moments

The Hollywood Gossip

President Trump Blames the New York Explosion Terror Attack on a ‘Lax’ Immigration System

President Donald Trump said Monday’s attack on New York City’s Port Authority Bus Terminal was the result of a “lax” immigration system that “allows far too many dangerous, inadequately vetted people to access our country.”

“The terrible harm that this flawed system inflicts on America’s security and economy has long been clear,” Trump said in a White House statement. “I am determined to improve our immigration system to put our country and our people first.”

Trump said that his travel ban for residents of six Muslim-majority countries, which the Supreme Court recently allowed enforcement of in full, was “one step forward in securing our immigration system.” He additionally called on Congress to end chain migration and increase the number of Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, who detain undocumented immigrants.

“[T]hose convicted of engaging in acts of terror deserve the strongest penalty allowed by law, including the death penalty in appropriate cases,” the President added. “America should always stand firm against terrorism and extremism, ensuring that our great institutions can address all evil acts of terror.”

According to the Department of Homeland Security, the incident’s primary suspect — 27-year-old Akayed Ullah — is a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. who came from Bangladesh on a family immigrant visa in 2011. Bangladesh is not one of the countries included in Trump’s travel ban.

Ullah is said to have acted alone, according to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio. Law enforcement officials said that Ullah was inspired by ISIS but did not have any direct contact with the group, the Associated Press reported.


TIME

Hawaii Sounds Cold War-Era Siren to Prepare Residents for Possible Nuclear Attack from North Korea

(HONOLULU) — A siren blared across Hawaii on Friday for the first time since the end of the Cold War in an effort to prepare tourists and residents for a possible nuclear attack from North Korea.

The state is the first to bring back the Cold War-era warning system, Hawaii emergency management officials said. The wailing siren sounded for a minute after the usual testing of the steady alert for tsunamis and other natural disasters that Hawaii residents are used to hearing.

There was little reaction from people on famous Waikiki Beach, where the test sounded like a distant siren.

“We believe that it is imperative that we be prepared for every disaster, and in today’s world, that includes a nuclear attack,” Gov. David Ige said this week, adding that the possibility of a strike is remote.

Ige said the new test will ensure the public knows what they should do in case of an imminent attack. If a missile is launched, residents and tourists would have less than 20 minutes to take shelter, officials said.

Vern Miyagi, administrator for Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, said the state delayed the test for a month to let people know it would be happening. Hawaii turned to public service announcements on TV and radio, town hall meetings, information on agency websites and media stories.

The test comes the same week that North Korea fired a powerful nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile it calls the Hwasong-15, leading analysts to conclude the nation has made a jump in its missile capability. The weapon would have a range of more than 8,100 miles (13,000 kilometers), easily reaching the U.S. mainland.

Hawaii is one of the closest states to North Korea, and its large military presence could make it more of a target. The island of Oahu is home to U.S. Pacific Command, the military’s headquarters for the Asia-Pacific region. It also hosts dozens of Navy ships at Pearl Harbor and is a key base for the Air Force, Army and Marine Corps.

Miyagi has previously said a nuclear strike on Hawaii would result in thousands of deaths, thermal radiation, severe damage to critical infrastructure, widespread fires and other chaos.

The tests will continue on the first business day of every month. If the siren sounds because an attack is imminent, residents and tourists should get inside and stay tuned for further instructions, officials said.

Hawaii no longer has any nuclear shelters. When the Cold War ended, funding for maintaining them ran out as the threat of attack ended, emergency officials said.

Lorraine Godoy, 75, who grew up hearing air raid sirens on the Big Island, said the tests are a “reminder that this is not a safe world anymore. Even here, in Hawaii, it’s not safe.”

Tourism officials disagree, saying travelers “should not be alarmed by the testing.”


TIME

The mystery over the attack on Rand Paul deepens – CNN


CNN

The mystery over the attack on Rand Paul deepens
CNN
(CNN) It's been 19 days since Rand Paul was attacked by a neighbor while mowing his lawn. And on Wednesday, the story got even stranger as the wife of the Kentucky Republican Senator wrote a piece for CNN detailing the extent of the injuries he
Rand Paul's wife rips media coverage after husband's attackThe Hill
Rand Paul's wife blasts media for 'gleeful' attack coverage, says he hasn't taken a pain-free breath sinceBusiness Insider
Kelley Paul: Assault on husband was 'a deliberate, blindside attack'Politico
Washington Examiner –The Daily Caller –Washington Times –Washington Free Beacon
all 33 news articles »

Top Stories – Google News

Derick Dillard Launches New Attack Against Jazz Jennings

Bill O’Reilly. Sean Hannity. Alex Jones. Derick Dillard.

Sure, Jill Duggar’s husband may not have earned a spot on the list of the far-right’s most emotionally unstable mouthpieces just yet, but he’s determined to get there some day.

And like any good professional bully, D-Dill has already chosen a sufficiently vulnerable target at which to direct all of his frustrations over his own intellectual shortcomings.

Jazz Jennings

Presumably acting on instructions issued to him when Jesus appeared in his Chick-Fil-A Hash Brown Scramble Bowl, Derick has launched a one-man war against his fellow TLC reality star Jazz Jennings.

Derick first attacked Jennings in an unprovoked Instagram tirade back in August.

Dillard was slammed on Twitter by folks from all walks of life who were put off by the idea of a grown man attacking a teenage girl, but the father or two carried on in his quest to … teach a young girl how hateful the world really is?

We’re not really sure what Derick was hoping to accomplish.

In fact, we’re guessing Derick couldn’t tell you what Derick was hoping to accomplish.

But since his bigotry briefly earned the attention of people who hadn’t thought about the Duggars since Josh was exposed as a molester, Derick is carrying on with his attack.

Derick Dillard, Wife Jill Duggar

In response to a fan who recently pointed out that many of Dillard’s tweets and blog posts come off as “hateful,” Dillard replied:

“I pity Jazz, 4 those who take advantage of him in order 2 promote their agenda, including the parents who allow these kinds of decisions 2 be made by a child.”

He added:

“It’s sad that ppl would use a juvenile this way. Again, nothing against him, just unfortunate what’s on tv these days.”

Replying to those who have pointed out that Derick appears to be relentlessly harassing a girl he’s never met who did nothing to provoke him, Dillard added:

Derick Dillard Solo Selfie

“Never bullied anyone, just said I didn’t agree with what is being propagated on my TV.”

You would think he was talking about the fact that there’s a TLC series about a family who harbored a child molester (It’s true ! We looked it up!) but no, Derick is still going in on Jazz.

He went on to argue that Jennings is simply too young to make decisions for himself.

In fact, he argues that all minors are incapable of making decisions, which is why he doesn’t send his children to school–they might get a head full of ideas and start making choices without his supervision!

We wish we were joking:

“Jazz is being taken advantage of, as part of a larger agenda,” Derick argues.

Jazz Jennings for TLC

“I hate seeing him used this way,” he adds. “Is it good for the government to force kids to go to school before they are old enough to decide how they feel about it?”

Dontcha see? The guv’mint’s sending kids to school and brainwashing them with Caitlyn Jenner propaganda!

And don’t get Derick started on the moon landing!

For her part, Jennings has yet to reply to Dillard’s latest bid for attention, which is typically the best way to deal with bullies.

Besides, she already said everything she needed to in response to his earlier tweets:

“Every day I experience cyber-bullying, but I keep sharing my story. Today was no different,” she wrote.

View Slideshow: Jazz Jennings: 13 Things to Know!

Further evidence that at 16, Jazz Jennings has attained a level of maturity that Derick Dillard can only dream of.

Watch Counting On online for more of Derick’s desperate attempts to attain relevance.

The Hollywood Gossip

Driver in Manhattan Attack Had Been Planning for Weeks, Police Say – New York Times


New York Times

Driver in Manhattan Attack Had Been Planning for Weeks, Police Say
New York Times
Caroline Ventura leaving flowers on Wednesday near the bike path in Manhattan where a day earlier a motorist killed eight people. Credit Todd Heisler/The New York Times. The driver who sped down a crowded bike path in Lower Manhattan on Tuesday, …
New York truck attacker planned rampage for weeks and carried it out in the name of ISIS, police sayWashington Post
New York terror suspect planned attack for weeks, police sayCNN
Terrorist Sayfullo Saipov celebrates deadly Manhattan truck attack while at hospital: 'He feels accomplished'New York Daily News
NPR –BBC News –Los Angeles Times –Fox News
all 3,004 news articles »

Top Stories – Google News