Eight people were killed and 11 others injured Tuesday when a man drove a rental truck through a bicycle path in lower Manhattan, mowing down pedestrians and cyclists and careening into a school bus in what is being investigated as an act of terrorism.
The suspect, 29-year-old Uzbek national Sayfullo Saipov, has been shot by police and is in critical condition, according to the Associated Press. He is expected to survive.
Five of the victims were citizens of Argentina, according to a statement by the country’s foreign ministry identifying them as Hernán Diego Mendoza; Diego Enrique Angelini; Alejandro Damián Pagnucco; Ariel Erlij; and Hernán Ferruchi.
The ministry’s statement, in Spanish, says that the five men who died were all from the Argentine city of Rosario. They were part of a group of friends who had visited New York to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their graduation from a polytechnic school.
Belgium’s foreign affairs minister Didier Reynders also confirmed the death of one Belgian citizen on Twitter. He later told Belgium’s Belga news agency the victim “was a woman from Roulers in western Flanders who was on a city trip with with her sister and her mother,” according to the Guardian.
In another tweet Reynders said three other Belgians had been injured in the attack.
This is a developing story.
The parade, now in its 44th year, marches costumed revelers down 6th Avenue from Spring Street to 16th Street. The event, which begins at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, will not be canceled due to the afternoon’s earlier events, but there will be an increased security presence, city officials said.
A 29-year-old male is currently in custody after driving a rented Home Depot pickup truck down a popular bike path in Lower Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon. The rampage killed at least eight and left dozens others injured, Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press conference Tuesday.
There is no evidence of a continuing threat at this time, officials said.
Here is a snapshot of what we know about the deadly attack in Niger, the political fallout and Trump’s actions
How four US service members were killed in Niger — and President Donald Trump’s response to the attack — has left the federal government searching for answers.
CNN.com – RSS Channel – HP Hero
New York Times
Trump Goes on Attack as Russia Revelations Appear to Take Toll
New York Times
BEDMINSTER, N.J. — President Trump unleashed a new fusillade of tweets on Sunday morning, defending his son Donald Trump Jr., slashing the news media and tarring his long-vanquished opponent, Hillary Clinton. After a leisurely Saturday afternoon …
Timeline Of Trump And Russia In Mid-2016: A Series Of Coincidences Or Something More?
Trump Jr.'s emails should have killed the president's 'fake news' rants. Here's why they won't.
Controversy over Trump Jr. meeting shows no signs of losing steam
Top Stories – Google News
Comedian John Oliver has become an official honoree in Stephen Colbert’s new “Trump Attacked Me on Twitter” Hall of Fame. The ever-incisive Oliver took a moment to reflect on the confusing “meaningless lie” in the tweet that got him into the illustrious Hall — a fateful missive sent out back in October 2015.
“John Oliver had his people call to ask me to be on his very boring and low rated show. I said “NO THANKS” waste [sic] of time & energy!” Trump wrote back then.
Oliver, who hosts HBO’s popular Last Week Tonight weekly news program, humbly admitted that his show may be “boring” and a “waste of time and energy.” But he disputed the suggestion that he — or any of his employees — had ever invited Trump on the show to begin with.
“That is a lie. It was very odd to be on the receiving end of a lie that was that confident from someone who is now president. We never asked him,” he said. “So it was a total lie, and a meaningless lie. In fact a lie so meaningless, it almost becomes meaningful,” he mused. “Because what kind of moron would lie about something this pathetic?”
.@thehill John Oliver had his people call to ask me to be on his very boring and low rated show. I said "NO THANKS" Waste of time & energy!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 31, 2015
Oliver follows in the footsteps of inaugural Hall of Fame members Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinksi, the hosts of frequently Trump-targeted show Morning Joe.
“Spider-Man: Homecoming,” like “Wonder Woman” and “Logan” before it, continues an unlikely year for superhero movies — one in which critics actually like them.
Business and financial news – CNNMoney.com
This article originally appeared on www.usmagazine.com: Ariana Grande Pays Tribute to the Youngest Manchester Attack Victim at her Buenos Aires Concert
Us Weekly Latest Celebrity News
Cillizza: The White House tried to justify the President’s attack on Mika Brzezinski. It didn’t work.
White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders launched a spirited defense Thursday afternoon of President Trump’s tweets earlier in the day attacking MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski over an alleged plastic surgery procedure.
CNN.com – RSS Channel – HP Hero
Even Kellyanne Conway has NO defense for President Trump’s verbal attack on Mika Brzezinski … because she tried every possible tactic to avoid the topic. We got Trump’s Counselor Thursday morning on Capitol Hill — just a few hours after his…
“Preparations for a new cynical and unprecedented provocation are underway,” Russian lawmaker says after vague warning from White House
Home – CBSNews.com