Year

The Million Cat Challenge Reaches Goal of Saving Cats One Year Early

Cat lovers have plenty to celebrate! The Million Cat Challenge has reached its goal of saving a million shelter cats in five years a year ahead of schedule.

After more than 1,000 animal shelters in North America joined forces to save the animals, the campaign announced last week that it has exceeded that number just four years after the campaign’s launch. As of December 31, 2017, the shelters collectively saved a total of 1,148,129 cats.

“It would be hard to overstate how much this milestone means to cats and shelters in North America,” the challenge’s co-founder Dr. Kate Hurley of the UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program said in a press release. “We have complete baseline data for 1,075 animal shelters, and when you compare the year prior to the beginning of the Challenge to 2017 numbers, we saw the live release rate rise from 53 percent to 81 percent.”

Hurley added: “We just proved the impossible, possible. Possible because shelters and communities of all types and sizes across North America worked together to make it happen.”

The campaign’s aim was to reach its goal by decreasing feline euthanasia rates, and they have gone down by 63 percent since the Million Cat Challenge was established in 2014. The campaign was launched with funding from Maddie’s Fund, which focuses on protecting companion animals.

“That’s not just a million cats, but a million more cats saved than ever before, thanks to Maddie. What started as a seemingly audacious goal has snowballed into a movement that can change the face of animal sheltering forever,” co-founder Dr. Julie Levy said.

The campaign focused on five key initiatives to help shelters reach their goals in their communities. The initiatives included providing positive alternatives to keep cats in homes or the communities, helping them provide humane care in the shelters, making sure each shelter has the personnel necessary to care for the animals, making adoption easier, and sterilizing and vaccinating the cats before setting them free to reduce the population.

For more information, visit millioncatchallenge.org.

Celebrity News – Us Weekly

The Nobel Literature Prize Will Not be Awarded This Year Following Sex-Abuse Allegations

(COPENHAGEN, Denmark) — The Nobel Prize in literature will not be awarded this year following sex-abuse allegations and other issues that have affected the public image of the Swedish Academy that selects the winner.

The academy said Friday the 2018 prize will be given in 2019. The decision was made at a weekly meeting in Stockholm a day earlier, on the grounds that the academy is in no shape to pick a winner after a string of sex abuse allegations and financial crimes scandals.

“We find it necessary to commit time to recovering public confidence in the Academy before the next laureate can be announced,” Anders Olsson, the academy’s permanent secretary, said in a statement. He said the academy was acting “out of respect for previous and future literature laureates, the Nobel Foundation and the general public.”

It will be the first time since World War II that the prestigious award is not handed out. Last year, Japanese-born British novelist Kazuo Ishiguro won the prize.

The Swedish Academy’s internal feud was triggered by an abuse scandal linked to Jean-Claude Arnault, a major cultural figure in Sweden who is also the husband of poet Katarina Frostenson, an academy member.

The academy later admitted in a report that “unacceptable behavior in the form of unwanted intimacy” took place within its ranks, but its handling of the allegations shredded the body’s credibility, called into question its judgment and forced its first female leader to resign.

A debate over how to face up to its flaws also divided its 18 members — who are appointed for life — into hostile camps and prompted seven members of the prestigious institution to leave or disassociate themselves from the secretive group.

At this week’s meeting, members agreed to review the academy’s operating practices, according to a statement released by the body.

The academy said that “work on the selection of a laureate is at an advanced stage and will continue as usual in the months ahead but the Academy needs time to regain its full complement.”

The Nobel Foundation reacted promptly, saying it presumes that the academy “will now put all its efforts into the task of restoring its credibility as a prize-awarding institution and that the Academy will report the concrete actions that are undertaken.”

“We also assume that all members of the Academy realise that both its extensive reform efforts and its future organizational structure must be characterized by greater openness toward the outside world,” Carl-Henrik Heldin, the chairman of the Nobel Foundation Board said in a separate statement.

Last fall, Dagens Nyheter, one of Sweden’s largest newspapers, published sexual misconduct claims from 18 women against Arnault, who runs a cultural center the academy used to help fund.

Arnault also has been suspected of violating century-old Nobel rules by leaking names of winners of the prestigious award — allegedly seven times, starting in 1996. It was not clear to whom the names were allegedly disclosed.

Bjorn Hurtig, the lawyer for the 71-year-old Arnault, has denied the allegations, telling The Associated Press that his client is the victim of “a witch hunt” and the claims “may only have the purpose of harming” him.

The world’s most prestigious prizes in science, medicine, literature and peacemaking have been withheld 49 times in all since the honors based on the will of Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel began in 1901.

No Nobel prizes at all were awarded during the World War II years of 1940-42. The Nobel literature prize has not been given out on seven occasions so far: 1914, 1918, 1935 and 1940-43 — in 1935 because no literature candidate was deemed worthy of the prize.

 

 


TIME

Avengers LOLz! Mark Ruffalo Spoiled Infinity War A YEAR AGO And Everyone Thought He Was Kidding!

And they say Tom Holland is the worst at keeping secrets…

Millions of fans were floored by the turns in Avengers: Infinity War, but if they had just listened to Mark Ruffalo, they could have had a year to brace themselves!

Video: Watch The Avengers Read Mean Tweets!

In a Good Morning America interview from Disney‘s 2017 D23 Expo, the actor was supposed to be hyping Thor: Ragnarok — but he was also filming back-to-back Avengers sequels at the time, so he got a little confused about what he was allowed to say.

[SPOILERS FOR INFINITY WAR BELOW]

When the interviewer asked him if he and Thor succeed in saving Asgard, Mark said:

“Let me just say this: like every other Marvel movie, it doesn’t end well for the superheroes.”

The interviewer agrees that someone always gets hurt, to which Ruffalo responds:

“Wait til you see this next one, everybody dies.”

That’s when costar Don Cheadle visibly double takes and says, “Dude!”

As Mark looks at Don’s face, he asks:

“Not everybody. Can we rewind that part?”

And everyone thought he was joking, and Don was playing along. But we don’t think so!

Related: Infinity War Had The Biggest Opening Of All Time!

If you watch closely (above, right at 2:17) he actually clearly says:

“Wait til you see this next one, ha- everybody dies.”

HE WAS TOTALLY ABOUT TO SAY “HALF” THE HEROES DIE!

And that, of course, is exactly what happens when Thanos succeeds in gathering all the Infinity Stones and snapping his fingers, killing half the people in the universe.

Obviously Marvel isn’t going to throw away franchises by letting Black Panther, Spider-Man, and the Guardians of the Galaxy stay dead — so the heroes must have a chance at undoing the event in the untitled Avengers 4.

But one thing is for sure. Whatever happens, Mark Ruffalo has probably already told us…

PerezHilton

A REAL Tristan Thompson Sex Tape Almost Got Out Last Year — And No, Not With Khloé…

Tristan Thompson faces a second alleged sex tape controversy…

As we reported, social media model @ms.stephaniee_ self-identified herself as the woman who appeared to kiss the Cleveland Cavaliers player at an NYC nightclub on Saturday.

Although many believed an alleged sex tape between the NBA star and the NYC side chick appeared online, it was proven to be fake.

Unfortunately for Thompson, the drama is far from over…

Photos: Tristan Isn’t The First Celeb To Be Accused Of Cheating

According to The Blast on Wednesday, the baller allegedly shot a sexy home video with his first baby momma, Jordan Craig, in 2016.

The alleged video resurfaced in November 2017 after it was allegedly stolen from Craig’s phone when she took it to a store for service.

Apparently, the clip was being pitched to the media until Craig worked with an attorney to obtain it and to destroy it.

While Thompson reportedly knew about the situation, it is unclear if Khloé Kardashian was aware or not.

After news of Tristan’s alleged cheating scandal broke out, Jordan seemingly responded by posting an Instagram Story where she said she would never “make light of the misfortune of anyone.”

[Image via Tristan Thompson/Jordan Craig/Instagram.]

PerezHilton

Chris Soules Returns to Instagram Almost a Year After Fatal Car Crash

Chris Soules briefly returned to social media on Saturday, March 10, after taking a long hiatus following a tragic April 2017 car crash that resulted in a man’s death.

The former Bachelor star, 36, who hasn’t posted on Instagram since last April, shared a clip on his Instagram Story of a dog and cat walking. In the video, captioned “Buddies,” the animals walk together on snow-covered pavement as Selena Gomez’s “Wolves” plays in the background.

Chris Soules, Dog, Return to Instagram, Bachelor, Car Crash
Chris Soules posts a clip on Instagram. Chris Soules/Instagram

As previously reported, the former Dancing With the Stars contestant was involved in a fatal accident in Iowa, where he allegedly rear-ended a tractor driven by 66-year-old Kenny Mosher. Both vehicles ended up in a ditch and the victim was later transported to a local hospital where he died. The reality TV personality was subsequently arrested at his home and accused of leaving the scene of the fatal accident before law enforcement arrived.

 

Us Weekly obtained audio of Soules informing 911 at the time that he had been involved in an accident that injured the other driver. His attorneys also stated that he gave Mosher CPR before telling an emergency dispatcher that he performed chest compressions, eventually finding a pulse.

Since then, Soules asked the Supreme Court to drop the charge of leaving the scene of the accident because he claimed he left only after being assured by emergency responders that the situation was being taken care of. Us confirmed in February that the motion was dismissed.

The former reality TV star is facing up to five years in prison if found guilty.

Celebrity News – Us Weekly